Submission Guidelines for Scientific Malaysian Magazine
1. The proposed word count for the various types of submissions are as follows:
Feature articles: 1500 words/article
Opinion articles: 1500 words/article
Project Collab: 800 words/article
Creative writing (science storytelling, short stories, book reviews): 800 words/article
We may accept other types of article not listed above, please contact us for enquiries.
2. All articles submitted should ideally be original and have not been published elsewhere (magazines, journals, institutional websites, blogs etc.). If the article has been published elsewhere, please provide a copy or the link(s) to the original article during the submission.
3. Submissions should ideally be written in a manner that is as least technical as possible to cater for our non-specialist readers. [Important!]
4. All submissions must be accompanied by a 1-paragraph summary or abstract (max. of 100 words), highlighting the key points in the article in non-technical terms. This summary can be in written in bullet points.
3. Submissions may be accompanied by a glossary and up to three graphs/diagrams/other images to clarify/illustrate technical points. All accompanying figures and diagrams should also be submitted as separate image files (E.g.: *.jpg, *.png). Permission to use each figure should be requested by the author from the relevant source(s).
4. Authors should provide reference(s) for all facts and figures quoted in their article. References in the main text should be cited in numbered square brackets, such as , , [3-5]. Full references should be included at the end of the article in the following format:
 Feinman, L. (1989). Absorption and utilization of nutrients in alcoholism. Alcohol Health & Research World., 13(3):207-210.
5. Our magazine is published twice a year. Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis (see below for submission deadlines and themes for each issue). Submissions of articles not within the chosen themes below may still be considered for publication in webzine format only (but will still be highlighted in our PDF version of the magazine).
Deadline for submission
|Issue 13: February / March 2017
Theme: Environmental and Climate Science
|Submission is now CLOSED.
Deadline: 18 November 2016
|Issue 14: September / October 2017
|Submission is now OPEN.
Deadline: 1 May 2017
|Issue 15: February / March 2018
Theme: Antibiotic Resistance
|Submission deadline: TBC|
|Issue 16: September / October 2018
Theme: Space Science
|Submission deadline: TBC|
6. Submissions will be edited for typos, grammatical errors, punctuation errors, and other common writing mistakes, as well as to improve sentence structures and the overall flow of information.
7. Submissions should be submitted only in MS Word format (*.doc, *.docx).
8. A series of articles on the same topic may also be submitted to be published in series/parts in more than one issue.
9. All author retains the full copyright to the articles submitted and may republish their articles elsewhere only after a prior notice is given to Scientific Malaysian. The republished articles must provide a link back to the original article published on Scientific Malaysian Magazine website.
10. All articles cannot be reproduced without prior permission from the author(s) and Scientific Malaysian.
11. The SciMy editorial board retains the rights to final editorial decisions.
12. To submit an article, email your article and accompanying figures to magazine[at]scientificmalaysian.com.